My Informal Essay

Hello everyone,
Yesterday I was writing and John 3:16 kept on popping into my head. So, I wrote an essay about that scripture. I thought that it would be for my own private use but when my mom read it she said it really spoke to her. I thought that maybe I would put it on here and maybe it will speak to you guys too. So here goes.


- John 3:16 - 
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 

I know that scripture is one of the most common scriptures in the bible. But it’s popular for a reason. John is telling the whole story of Jesus in 26 words. I want to try to pull apart those words and see if we can grow in our faith. 

The fist part is “For God so loved the world”. That’s amazing. I know that people say that if I created something I would most likely love it too. But really would I if whatever I created had sinned, fallen apart and disobeyed me? I suppose it’s just like having kids except that if you have kids you won’t be forever parted from some of them. God is really losing children everyday to suicide, drugs, alcohol, etc… but He loves them up to the very last second of their life. We really are His children it’s not just an analogy made up for little children. Have you ever looked at the lineage of Jesus? You can find it in Luke 3: 23-38. It is worth looking at. If you noticed, it leads all the way back to Adam and then there is one more name. God. We all come from Adam so we all come from God! Isn’t that exciting? 

The second part of John 3:16 is “that he gave his one and only Son”. People always define that as love. That’s definitely correct! I am just going to give it another word. Courage. Would you give your only son to someone who wasn’t even close to being good and had evil in them? Absolutely not right? I wouldn’t, there is no way. But God did. He didn’t even just give his Son. He gave his only Son and he had to watch his Son be beaten, flogged, spit on and then killed on a tree. That’s courage more than jumping out of a plane, eating something you hate, swimming with sharks or talking to a stranger about God. So much more than all of that. 

The next part says “that whoever believes in him shall not perish”. All you have to do is believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord. Can that be so hard? I guess it can be, because so many people don’t do it. The last part is what catches people. You have to put Jesus as Lord above everything else. Not your phone, money, clothes, relationships, even your bed can be higher than him. Jesus Christ has to be your Lord.

The fourth and last part is “but have eternal life”. So let’s take a moment to thank God that we are one of the people who will have eternal life with the Father. Bow your head and just praise him. 

If you have been following Jesus for awhile now good job! I am happy to say that I was born into a very Christian family, which is one of the biggest blessings I have. But I know that I have to keep on praying the prayer of forgiveness. I pray the prayer that I said when I was 5 and asked God into my heart. Sometimes you stray from God and make the world higher than him. That is when I need to pray that simple prayer. 
If you don’t know how to become a follower of Christ but you really want to be, here is a prayer that you can say. Say what you feel you need to say but if you have no words this is a simple prayer. 
Dear God,
I am sorry that I have sinned. I want you to take those sins and make me white. Please come into my heart and become my Father. Thank you. 

Amen


I hope and pray that you got something from that. Don't just say "Wow that was well written. I wish that it was about something else so that it was interesting". I want you guys to have discussion about what my essay says. Talk to God. He's not like family, friends and co-workers who don't always listen. He always hears you. So give it a try. You'll be surprised at how He can change your life. For the better.

Anna-Lee

Comments

  1. I agree that your choice of words from St. John's Gospel are very important to the understanding of what a person who is trying to improve his understanding of what being a Christian entails and what we are offered by our God, His Son and our Saviour. Your post is a good reminder of the love of the Holy Trinity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unique 2

Unique 4

Unique